January 21, 2016
Discover Whoopies !
Tired of cupcakes and macaroons? Sweet Bordeaux presents the new trendy cakes : Whoopies! Made of two pieces of cake held together with cream or ganache, Whoopies look like macaroons but have the creamy aspect of cupcakes.
These famous cakes started in Pennsylvania in the Amish community. Originally, these cookies were prepared by Amish women to put in their husbands’ lunch boxes. Originally, Whoppies were a chocolate cookie topped with sweet vanilla cream. Later, different flavors, colors and decorations were created.
Sweet or salty, Whoopies can be enjoyed at any moment : picnic, appetizer, snack… Are you going try thesedelicious American cookies ?
Sweet Bordeaux recommends this delicious recipe : salty Whoopies made of cheese and hazelnuts… A great and unusual appetizer that can definitely be paired with a glass of Sweet Bordeaux!
Comté cheese and hazelnut Whoopies
- 150 g of flour
- 50 g of hazelnut flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 egg
- 15 ml of milk
- Herbes de Provence
- 50 g of ground hazelnuts
- 15 cl of whipped cream
- 150 g of grated Comté cheese
- 50 g of ham
- Freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven at 350°F. In a saucepan, heat the cream. Add the grated Comté cheese and blend until it’s completely melted. Pepper the preparation and set aside in a cool area.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder and add the ground hazelnuts. In a separate bowl, mix milk, egg, oil and herbs. Salt to taste.
- Pour this liquid slowly into the flour and nuts and mix it gently.
- On a baking sheet lined with baking paper, make small balls (5 cm). Bake for ten minutes. Wait until they are completely cool before removing.
- Add the toasted ham cut into small pieces. Put some cream on one cookie and place another cookie overtop
Sweet appétit !