April 7, 2016
Spiced citrus crêpes cake
- Preparation: 30 minutes
- Cooking: 15 minutes
- 125g (0.275 lbs) flour
- 25cl (8.5 fl oz) milk
- 100g (0.22 lbs) sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 eggs
- 1 orange
- ½ lemon
- 50cl (17 fl oz) carrot juice
- 35cl grapefruit juice
- 50cl (17 fl oz) orange juice
- 30g (0.06 lbs) honey
- 40g (0.08 lbs) butter
- Roasted Hazelnuts
- 2 star anise (star anise)
- 4 teaspoons of rum
The pancake mix
- In a bowl, mix flour, 2 eggs, milk, 40g (0.08 lbs) of sugar and the rum.
- Add some orange zest to flavor the mix.
- Let the mix rest in the fridge, time to prepare the orange cream and spicy citrus reduction.
The orange cream
- In a saucepan, put: the lemon zest and orange zest.
- Add the squeezed lemon juice and orange juice.
- Pour 60g (0.13 lbs) of sugar and break 2 eggs. Mix.
- Simmer, stirring constantly, bring it to boil.
- Add 40g (0.08 lbs) of softened butter.
- Blend it.
Spicy citrus reduction
- In a saucepan, pour in: orange juice, grapefruit juice and carrot juice.
- Add honey, if desired.
- Add the two star anise and cinnamon sticks. Mix.
- Heat and reduce it to a third.
Preparation pancake cake
- Preheat oven to 170° C (340 F).
- Remove the batter from the refrigerator.
- Grease a pan with sunflower oil.
- Pour the batter into the hot pan.
- Make 8-10 pancakes.
- Once the pancakes are ready: place a pancake on a plate, spread orange cream over it and roll the pancake. Do the same with the other pancakes.
- Cut the pancake into two.
- Place all the pancakes vertically in a circular mold.
- Cut the ends that protrude out of the mold.
- Put in the oven for fifteen minutes.
- Place the pancake cake on a plate.
- Draw a line with the citrus reduction using a brush.
- Add a few drops of citrus reduction with a pastry bag, on the plate, around the cake.
- Arrange roasted hazelnuts, cut in half, on top of each pancake.
Serve with a glass of Sweet Bordeaux: Graves Supérieures or Côtes de Bordeaux Saint-Macaire.